Happy Monday everyone!
I hope it’s been a happy one so far. I know it’s a little late in the day for posting this recipe, but I’ve had a list of things to get done on my to-do list. I always set so many goals for Mondays only to realize I only get about half way through the list. Can anyone else relate? Ugh…
Well as you know, I am continuing the freezer-friendly meals series, and today I am starting this week off with another favorite for us, Cajun Chicken and Sausage Alfredo Pasta. And not to forget to mention the bonus, “one pot” preparation that makes this meal an easy and less messy situation (yay!). Honestly, I was never a fan of spicy foods, but this Cajun kick is perfect for me, along with the hot Italian sausage. Although I have to mention, I think I’m over exaggerating on the word “spicy”, I have a pretty low tolerance, so for many people, it really wouldn’t be considered “spicy”. 😛 It may be an overwhelming mouthful, but it’s so savory, it’ll have you go back for seconds. My husband and I sure did.
Pasta is sooo easy to freeze and freezes quite nicely if you ask me. So that’s why I thought it would be perfect to add to the list. This portion will make about 10 servings, so it can easily be divided into two meals. So freeze up, and enjoy making this easy, quick (under 30 minutes), one-pot goodness.
See freezer instructions in the recipe below.
If you just came across this recipe and realized your taste buds are watering for this meal, but you seem to be out of Cajun season, don’t fret! I’ve got you covered. I once had the same dilemma, I realized I was totally out of Cajun seasoning and didn’t want to settle for anything else for dinner, so I made my own Cajun mix! Easy-breezy.
For this portion, you’ll need the following amount each seasoning to make your own…
Homemade Cajun Mix:
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
One Pot Cajun Chicken and Sausage Alfredo Pasta
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 pound of chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 raw hot or mild Italian sausage links, cut up
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 3 tbsp of lemon juice
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of milk (any %)
- 1 pound of dried penne pasta
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning* (see note)
- 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of parsley, minced
- Begin by frying the onion, and garlic in olive oil until translucent with a large cooking pot.
- Add chicken and season with salt and pepper and brown in butter over medium high heat.
- Add sausage and continue to cook until browned.
- Add chicken broth, heavy cream, milk, lemon juice, dried pasta and cajun seasoning to pot.
- Stir together and bring to a simmer over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and let cook covered for 15-20 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in parmesan cheese.
- Stir in chopped parsley and sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese to taste.
*Freezer-friendly: divide portions into desired freezer safe trays, and place in freezer. Once ready to use, thaw for 1 hour, sprinkle with parmesan and place in oven at 375 F for about 30-40 minutes.
Please follow and like us: